Commencing on January 1, 2012 and pursuant to Section 6013.1 of the Business and Professions Code, State Bar Districts shall be based on the six court of appeal districts as constituted pursuant to Section 69100 of the Government Code, as they existed on December 31, 2011.
The composition of State Bar Districts are as follows:
A qualified member of the State Bar may elect one attorney member of the board from his or her district.
- District 1 is the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Solano, and Sonoma.
- District 2 is the counties Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.
- District 3 is the counties of Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo and Yuba.
- District 4 is the counties of Imperial, Inyo, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego
- District 5 is the counties of Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne.
- District 6 is the counties of Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz.